As a parent, it hurts you almost as much as your child when he or she is suffering from a toothache. It’s important to learn the source of their pain to know if it’s a dental emergency or a common condition that will go away with at-home treatment.
There are several possible causes of toothaches including:
- The recent or upcoming eruption of teeth
- A loose tooth
- Tooth decay
- A dental abscess
- Food or particles trapped between teeth
At Park Smiles NYC Pediatrics, we’re here to help diagnose and treat the problem when necessary. But first, there are some things you can try at home:
- Clean the affected area with a toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Rinse the mouth vigorously with warm water and use dental floss in the surrounding areas.
- If your child needs a pain reliever, administer Tylenol or Motrin according to the package directions. Do not place aspirin on the tooth itself or the gums.
Note: If the face is swollen, apply cold compresses and contact our office immediately. A swollen face could indicate a serious problem requiring immediate attention.
For the best of the best in Comprehensive Pediatric Dental Care in New York City, call Park Smiles NYC Pediatrics today at 212-988-6727. We look forward to serving you with an unsurpassed commitment to comfort, compassion and empathetic care!