Park Smiles NYC Pediatrics offers the most advanced, effective, and comprehensive orthodontic treatments to help children with bite correction and restoration of healthy, straight teeth and smile.
Our Skilled Dental, Orthodontic And Surgical team At Park Smiles Nyc Pediatrics Offers A Comprehensive Array Of Treatments For Bite Correction. Learn About Us Today!
What are the signs my child may need bite correction?
Non-ideal bites, also known as malocclusion’s, are responsible for a variety of oral health issues that can cause problems for children with everyday life, including chewing, speaking and even sleeping.
While malocclusion can be due to genetics and lifestyle factors, accidents are also known to cause the jaw and teeth to shift, resulting in a problematic bite. For some kids, it’s obvious when a malocclusion is present. But for others, the signs are less noticeable and it might take a dentist or orthodontist to determine that bite correction may be needed.
Some of the signs you may notice yourself include:
- Speaking problems. If your child has problems pronouncing certain words or sounds, it could indicate they have a malocclusion.
- Chewing problems. Misaligned teeth can also alter your child’s bite when they eat and chew, making it painful and even awkward.
- Teeth grinding. Teeth grinding (also known as bruxism ), is common and often made worse due to stress. It’s a serious issue that can have major consequences for your child’s facial bone growth and dental health. Jaw pain, toothaches and headaches related to grinding could all be related to malocclusion.
- Sleep apnea. Pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea — a sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts — can cause serious side effects in children, including behavioral and learning issues and even heart problems. Although there are many other causes of sleep apnea, a bad bite can lead to problems that narrow or block your child’s airway and breathing.
- Difficulty cleaning or flossing. Crowded or misaligned teeth that are hard to brush and floss properly may very well indicate a problem with your child’s bite. Frequent gum bleeding can be an indication of trauma, periodontal disease, or malocclusion.
- Facial asymmetry. If your child displays obvious asymmetry in the face — for example, one side of the lower jaw seems longer than the other — it can be due to jaw shifting from malocclusion or actual skeletal asymmetry. To determine the true cause and have appropriate treatment, an accurate exam and diagnosis are necessary with a competent orthodontist.
What can be done to correct a bite?
The first step if your child is experiencing any of the symptoms above is to schedule an appointment to see their dentist. If the dentist does determine that he or she has a problematic bite — whether due to crowding, spacing, an overbite, underbite, crossbite or open bite –you may be referred to an orthodontist for further evaluation and treatment. Or,you can also schedule an appointment directly with an orthodontist.
After a comprehensive exam, your child’s orthodontist will recommend treatment options that may include fixed braces such as traditional metal braces , ceramic “clear” braces or lingual braces , or clear aligners like Invisalign.
In some cases, surgically assisted orthodontics may be recommended to correct a severe malocclusion with skeletal discrepancy. Orthognathic surgery is a procedure that involves moving the upper jaw or maxilla forward, backward, or even widening it. Orthognathic surgery is commonly performed in conjunction with orthodontic treatment.
Why Park Smiles NYC Pediatrics in New York City?
At Park Smiles NYC Pediatrics, we’re fortunate to have an award-winning team of world-class pediatric dentists, Board-certified orthodontist and oral and maxillofacial surgeon. We also have on-staff some of the best general and cosmetic dentists and anesthesiologists in New York.
We are also pleased to offer a state-of-the-art facility accredited by the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities. This accreditation assures our patients of the highest standards in safety and quality. No matter what treatment is recommended for your child, the skilled staff at Park Smiles NYC Pediatrics is here to provide the most effective and safe treatments to restore the function of their bite and beauty of their smile.
Attaining healthy, straight teeth and a beautiful smile is like a Walk in the Park – at Park Smiles NYC Pediatrics!