Root Canal Treatment for Permanent Teeth
A comfortable procedure to preserve your child’s permanent tooth.
At park smiles nyc pediatrics, we provide the best in comprehensive dental care for your child, including root canal treatment for permanent teeth when needed.
When would a child need a root canal on a permanent tooth?
When we think of people who need root canals, it’s usually adults. However, children sometimes also need root canal treatment . In the case of young children, even toddlers, a root canal could be needed on a baby (primary) tooth in order to save and protect the teeth and preserve the integrity of positioning.
For children with most or all of their permanent teeth, a root canal is performed to save a damaged or diseased natural tooth, just as with an adult. Signs that your child could need endodontic treatment include:
- Persistent toothaches and nighttime pain
- Sensitivity to hot and cold
- Redness or swelling around the tooth
- Extensive decay
- Unexplained looseness of the affected tooth
Of course, you should be taking your child to their pediatric dentist twice per year, so the dentist can also be on the lookout for any issues with your child’s teeth.
Is root canal treatment painful?
While root canal treatment has historically been synonymous with an uncomfortable and painful experience, the fact is that advanced technology and sedation dentistry have made the procedure as easy and comfortable as getting a regular filling.
At Park Smiles NYC Pediatrics, we do everything possible to provide a pain-free and stress-free experience.Our skilled, board-certified team of pediatric dentists , endodontist s and pediatric anesthesiologists will help save your child’s permanent tooth (or teeth) with the most gentle care and comfort!
What’s involved in root canal treatment?
Before we get into the steps of the procedure, a brief primer on the anatomy of teeth: Inside the tooth, beneath the white enamel, is a soft tissue called pulp. Pulp contains blood vessels, nerves and connective tissue. When the pulp becomes infected or inflamed – often due to a deep cavity or filling, a cracked tooth, or a traumatic injury to the tooth — treatment becomes necessary in order to save the tooth. Without proper treatment, it can lead to an infection or dental abscess and can even contribute to systemic problems throughout other parts of the body.
Performed by an endodontist, root canal treatment is a procedure that commonly involves local anesthesia. However, for children with anxiety and/or special needs , additional sedation dentistry options are offered if you and your child prefer, such as nitrous oxide , IV sedation , and general anesthesia .
After sedation has been administered, the steps will involve:
- A thin sheet of latex rubber is placed over your child’s tooth to keep it dry, then an opening is made through the crown of the tooth into the pulp chamber.
- The pulp is removed from the chamber and the root canal (the space inside the root). The root canal is cleaned and shaped so it can be filled.
- The endodontist may place medicine in the pulp chamber and root canal in order to remove bacteria.
- The root canal is filled, typically with a rubber-like material in order to seal it.
- A temporary filling is placed in the tooth to prevent contamination of the canal. Your child will then return home with the temporary filling in place. An appointment will be set for your child’s pediatric dentist at Park Smiles NYC Pediatrics to remove the temporary filling and restore the tooth with a crown.
- After restoration, the tooth should function and look like the other teeth – and your child will be able to enjoy whatever food they like again without any pain.
What are the benefits of root canal treatment?
In addition to saving your child’s natural tooth, the procedure provides several other benefits, including:
- Helps to mitigate problems caused by having the tooth removed — such as other teeth shifting, which can lead to difficulties in chewing and in your child’s bite.
- Prevents the loss of bone structure from the area of a missing tooth.
- Saves time and money in the future from having to undergo more complex treatments.
- Relieves pain and helps restore your child’s overall health and well-being.
Call Park Smiles NYC Pediatrics in New York today!
For the best of the best in comprehensive pediatric dental care in New York City, call Park Smiles NYC Pediatrics today. We look forward to serving your child with an unsurpassed commitment to comfort, compassion and excellence!
Attaining a healthy, beautiful smile is like a walk in the park – at Park Smiles NYC Pediatrics!