The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that all children by the age of seven have an orthodontic evaluation. Early detection of common orthodontic problems such as crowding, premature loss of baby teeth, or bite issues will help lead to early treatment that could prevent more extensive and expensive treatment down the road.
At Park Smiles NYC Pediatrics, our pediatric specialists can identify problems early on and actively intervene to guide the teeth as they emerge in the mouth. We’ll also monitor the progress of your child’s bite and jaw development during his or her routine dental examinations.
Indications for early treatment
Young patients with any of the following issues could be candidates for interceptive orthodontic treatment:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty in chewing
- Breathing through the mouth
- Thumb sucking
- Crowded, misplaced or blocked–out teeth
- Jaws that are too far forward or back
- Biting the cheeks
- Front teeth that do not meet, or meet in an abnormal way
- An unbalanced facial appearance
- Grinding or clenching of the teeth
Benefits of early treatment
Early orthodontic treatment will improve your child’s smile at a young age, boosting their self-esteem. It will also provide us with the opportunity to:
- Guide jaw growth
- Lower the risk of trauma to protruded front teeth
- Correct harmful habits like thumb sucking, tongue thrusting, or lip wedging
- Guide permanent teeth into a more favorable position
- Improve the way lips meet
What does early treatment involve?
Early treatment may involve the use of orthodontic appliances or partial braces to guide the growth of developing jaw bones and create a better environment for the adult teeth as they emerge.
In most cases, the early phase of treatment is followed by comprehensive orthodontic treatment (full braces) at the appropriate age. This second phase of treatment is usually shorter, less involved and more effective due to the earlier treatment program.
It’s never too early to keep an eye on your child’s oral development. Schedule a consultation at Park Smiles NYC Pediatrics today!
For the best of the best in Comprehensive Pediatric Dental Care in New York City, call Park Smiles NYC Pediatrics today at 212-988-6727. We look forward to serving you with an unsurpassed commitment to comfort, compassion and empathetic care!