Restore your child’s tooth and smile
A dental crown is a cap that’s placed over the tooth and shaped to look and function just like a real tooth. Even though a baby tooth will fall out eventually, it’s very important to keep baby teeth in place until they fall out naturally. Additional reasons for placing crowns on baby teeth:
- Support and protect a severely decayed tooth that’s too weak for a filling.
- Cover and protect a tooth that is broken or badly chipped.
Stainless Steel and White Zirconia Crowns
Stainless steel is a commonly used crown and a cost-effective option. Made of metal shells of varying sizes, stainless steel crowns can be customized to fit any tooth and are easy to place, generally requiring just one visit to the dentist. They are perfect for molars (the teeth towards the back of the mouth), because they are durable, strong and resistant to moisture.
White Zirconia crowns are more expensive than stainless steel, but they provide many long term advantages including:
- Strength: Made from zirconia, a strong material that is compatible with the human body, these crowns are known for their strength and durability. They are long lasting and virtually indestructible.
- Aesthetics:White zirconia crowns are natural-looking and blend in well with the child’s other teeth. They are arguably the most aesthetically-pleasing of all crowns.
- Retains more of the existing tooth:Minimal preparation is required, which means more of the original tooth is preserved. This is useful if the crown needs to be removed.
- Safety: There is no fear of the body rejecting zirconia or displaying an allergic reaction to it. It’s safe to use and preferred by many dentists and patients over stainless steel.
For a strong, long-lasting and visually appealing crown that’s also ideal at covering signs of damage or staining — in addition to helping maintain the function of the tooth — White Zirconia is an excellent choice.
Our pediatric team welcomes you to come into Park Smiles NYC Pediatrics for a consultation to discuss the various options to help restore your child’s tooth and a bright, healthy smile for years to come.
For the best of the best in Comprehensive Pediatric Dental Care in New York City, call Park Smiles NYC Pediatrics today at 212-988-6727. We look forward to serving you with an unsurpassed commitment to comfort, compassion and empathetic care!