Five Things Parents Need to Know About Their Children’s Teeth
A great head start on a healthy smile is one of the best ways you can help your child enjoy beautiful adult teeth. Here are five things that you may want to consider when helping your son or daughter care for their smile:
- As adult teeth come in, they build up more tartar than the previous baby teeth in that location; especially on the bottom front teeth. Brushing well behind these teeth can keep buildup at bay and make dental visits easier.
- Lots of kids love to enjoy sports drinks when they’re active, but drinking them regularly may cause them to develop a greater number of cavities. Limit their consumption and always encourage your child to drink water when possible. Water “cleans” the teeth as you drink it, doesn’t have any artificial sweeteners, and contains fluoride for healthy tooth development.
- A toothache that goes untreated can result in serious complications like hospitalizations. See our dentists as soon as possible if your child is complaining of a tooth hurting.
- Flossing can be hard for your child, but it’s important for them to get their teeth clean in-between. Flossers or floss picks are ideal for young children until they have the dexterity they need to use regular floss.
- Gingivitis can develop even in very young children. Encourage your child to brush along their gumlines regularly. Bleeding gums are a sign that too much plaque is being left along the gumlines and can take up to two weeks to heal. You may need to follow up behind them to make sure these areas have been cleaned.
At Park Smiles NYC Kids, our pediatric dental clinic makes it easy for the youngest members of your family to get quality, comprehensive dental care in one location. Book a visit today!