Comprehensive Dental Care for ages 3 to 5
Your child should have all 20 primary (baby) teeth around the age of three. This is a very important age to ramp up their dental care both at home and by visiting Park Smiles NYC Pediatrics for our professional advice and treatment.
Following are some at-home dental care tips to help establish a strong foundation for years to come:
- To help prevent cavities, ensure that your child stops using the bottle or sippy cup by their first birthday. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) also recommends no more than four to six ounces of juicy daily.
- Use fluoride toothpaste – and don’t let them eat too many sugary and sticky between-meal snacks.
- Ensure that your child stops sucking habits (pacifier, thumb, etc.) by the age of three to prevent problems with their bite and facial development.
- If children at this age want to brush their own teeth, let them try and encourage them. It’s good that they’re showing initiative in their dental healthcare. However, you should still brush afterward to make sure that all of the surfaces are clean. Kids will typically need supervision with brushing until they’re eight or nine years old.
- Flossing should also be encouraged at this age once per day between teeth where there’s no longer spacing.
Keep in mind that research shows that approximately 80% of children who remain cavity-free at this age remain cavity-free when the adult teeth begin to erupt into the mouth.
Our pediatric specialists at Park Smiles NYC Pediatrics are always available for a consultation to answer any questions you may have regarding your child’s dental health care needs.
Call us & book a pediatric appointment now!
For the best of the best in Comprehensive Pediatric Dental Care in New York City, call Park Smiles NYC Pediatrics today at 212-461-9120. We look forward to serving you with an unsurpassed commitment to comfort, compassion and empathetic care!