Along with dental sealants, dental fluoride treatment is one of the safest and most effective ways to prevent tooth decay and maintain excellent dental health in children. Making the tooth more resistant to acid attacks caused by sugars and plaque bacteria in the mouth, fluoride acts as a shield for the outer enamel layer of the teeth and actually has the ability to reverse early dental decay in some cases.
Additional Benefits of Fluoride Treatments for Kids
- Inhibits oral bacteria. Fluoride treatments make it harder for bacteria to grow, multiply, and adhere to teeth, reducing the damage the bacteria can cause.
- Saves money. Because fluoride is so effective at disrupting tooth decay, it can save you considerable expense in future dental care.
- It’s natural. Fluoride is a naturally existing mineral found in water, many foods, within the earth’s crust, and widely throughout nature. Fluoride is often added to tap water supplies for drinking and to toothpastes for children and
- It’s easy. Fluoride application is quick, easy and painless for your child. Children will even be able to eat or drink shortly after application.
- Promotes dental development. Fluoride exposure and intake is particularly important to a child’s dental development, beginning from the age of six months through sixteen years. This is the span when all of the baby and permanent teeth erupt.
The American Dental Association recommends fluoride treatments twice a year for your child’s teeth to keep them healthy and strong. But remember: fluoride alone won’t prevent tooth decay! It’s still essential to brush at least twice a day, floss regularly, eat balance meals, and reduce sugary snacks.
If you need to schedule a checkup or a fluoride treatment for your child, contact Park Smiles NYC Pediatrics today!
For the best of the best in Comprehensive Pediatric Dental Care in New York City, call Park Smiles NYC Pediatrics at 212-988-6727. We look forward to serving you with an unsurpassed commitment to comfort, compassion and empathetic care!